A Brief History
The town of Bulls was named after mr.james Bull,Who in 1859 established a store in the town, with a hotel attached.James Bull was born at Chelsa, London in 1831. He worked as a carpenter and is credited with having carried out work on the House of Commons.
In 1857 he sailed to New Zealand on the Indian Queen,arriving at Wellington.in 1858, James went to scotts ferry to build a house for Thomas Scott and his wife.Whilst there he met the Scott's daughter,Christina,and married her in June 1859.
On completion of the house at Scott's Ferry , James leased five acres from cptain daniell and built a General Store and Post Office. As there was a large demand for timber at the time,which pit-sawing alone could not satisfy, he started a saw mill behindthe store , leasing bush from the Maoris.Besides supplying timber for local needs,James Bull also supplied much of the timber used in early Wanganui. As well as carting timber from his saw mill he operated a general carrying business supplying the whole area from his store.he also opened a blacksmith's forge and liquor store.
In 1863 james became the Postmaster.he was also appointed a justice of the peace and became involved with the School Committee,the Rangitikei Highway Board and the Rangitikei Country Council.
With such a thriving establishment it soon became common for people to say that they were " going to Bull's". So in 1872 the present township was officially named ' Bulls'
in the later years of his life he returned to England where he died on 13th July 1920 aged 89.